Friday, August 10, 2012

If you're goin' to the North Country Fair...

Hello Everyone, Well, I'm back out on the road again, on my way to a three week artist residency in North Dakota. I'll be alone for most of the time, and look forward for the solitude to adminsiter a profound enlightenment, or madness, depending on the angle from which you are standing in regards to me. But whether I get wise or get wild, I will try to document my daily progress, provided there is internet access. If there is no access to the interweb, consider the umbilical cord to reality severed, and I'll be taking the express to the cosmos. Speaking of express, I took the Greyhound Express from NYC to Cleveland to Chicago. It took sixteen hours, which is still pretty quick for cross country bus travel. But as I waited in the NYC and Cleveland stops, and exited the Chicago stop, look crowded and throbbing lines of people waited at the "express" gates, whilst the gates to regular schedules were desolate. I'd noticed online when I was looking for departure times that 5 out of 7 trips to Chicago were express, too. Hmm...I thought. Could it be possible that we who are so fortunate to shun flight and take a wonderfully intimate bus now have the convenient option of "expressing" ourselves to our destination? Or do we now simply have less places to go, and through witty "mind control" we are treating less choices as more advantage? I thought about that, the way I think about things when I wait in line at a department store, movie theatre, or basically anyplace in the country where everybody waits in one line for one clerk at one cash register while there are seven closed registers. When I left the cattle pin that is the Chicago Bus terminal, I wondered anybody else was thinking about there good fortune as they smelled the armpits surrounding them and listened to the golden chorus of screaming babies... From Chicago, I barrowed a friends car and drove north, up eastern Wisconsin and onto Michigan's western peninsula, or as I like to call it: Tunguska. Driving across this part of Michagan is like driving into a classic rock station. Folks, wanna know what's in between Iron Mountain, Michigan and Iron River, Michigan? Nothing shiny, that's for sure. But that's not to say that there was nothing, and of course you knew that. But what I forgot, was how much of America one can really take in when they're only allowed to see 55 miles of it per hour. I was on the winding highways, not the streamlined interstates, and I had to stop at red lights, slow down while rolling through small town after small town. I saw America, or at least a little part of it, that wasn't homogenized by suburbs and interstates and fast food. I got to see the stuff that goes in the blink of an eye. A kid walking on the side of the road with about three or four fish on a string, carrying his fishing fole over his shoulder, the misunderstood rockers hanging out at a gas station in a country town. I got to see just a bit of true America, in the moment and away from any definition from a history book, just people like you going through their day however they can. I crossed a small stream that struggled to find its way through a marshy area. It didn't look like a river, but it the sign at the bridge said it was, said it was the Mississippi River. I went to Hibbing, Minnesota. In the fifties a kid named Robert Zimmerman felt like he didn't belong there. Only when things flow away do they become Old Man River and Bob Dylan. But life still goes on in the North Country. Well, I gotta split. I gotta drive from Bedmiji, Minnesota (say that real fast ten times and you will get high) to Grand Forks, ND and settle in at my monastary, or looney bin. If you read along, you can be the judge. Take care...

No comments:

Post a Comment