Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day #1

Hello Everybody, Well, what can I say? Probably a whole lot if you walked up to me because I have not seen a single person all day. But that's ok, a few birds and some crickets have kept me company. And a spider I found in my bathroom, until I flushed it, it just wasn't my kind of company. I woke to the ringing in my ears I've had since childhood. Not sure what that's about, but I don't notice it much in the big city, where there is a constant hum that drowns the ringing out. I only hear it in really quiet places, and folks, McCanna, North Dakota is a quiet place. I hear there's about 10 people that live in the greater McCanna area, but I've yet to see them. The only sign of humanity thus far has been the odd grain truck way off on the horizon, as it is harvest time. The ringing got to be almost deafening, but after several cups of coffee I started talking to myself and that took care of that. Lets see, I worked on my book for several hours. I played my guitar and sang like a no one's a listenin' for several more. Then I went for a very long walk down a very straight road and soon was surounded by very tall fields of corn and sunflowers. I ventured up to the sunflowers and they towered above me, all faced to the west, where the sun was trying to communicate to them through the clouds. They looked like an alien race trying to communicate in some kind of telepathy, but alas, the obstacle of my humanity kept me ignorant their cosmic message. But that's ok, maybe tomorrow... I found a swell walking rock. It was of smooth granite, and had the density of a full sized potato. I tossed it from hand to hand as I ventured further and further out there, pondering all things between the first memory I had of that ringing in the ears to the fact that I'm 37 years old and once again walking around alone out in the middle of nowhere. But that's not really true. Everywhere is somewhere to somebody, and to less than a dozen McCanna is home. And, hey, I'm not really alone, cause I have you and the internet voodoo. Something caught my eye when I was walking home and I dropped my rock. I felt like I'd betrayed it for a half-second and thought for a few steps that I should go back and pick it up. It was a good rock. But I kept on walkin'... So long for now,

No comments:

Post a Comment