Saturday, August 18, 2012

And They All Fall Down

Hello everybody, There's a pretty cool phenomenon out here in North Dakota. Most of the houses and crops out here are surrounded by windbreaks, shelterbelts consisting of tall trees to keep the wind from blowing everything across the prairie. The farm house I'm staying is no different. During the day I'll be milling out about on the grounds and feel no wind, whatsoever. However, there will be a low constant roar, like a running river, off in the distance. But there's no water for miles. I'll look up and see the weaker branches of the tall trees leaning over greatly, the sound coming from the wind rushing through the leaves. One feels like they are in some kind of capsule, a cocoon from the elements inside of these windbreaks. I went out the neighboring field yesterday and when I stepped out of the trees the wind, dirt and incoming rain hit me head on. I was suddenly in the middle of the weather. The winds were green and stormy, low to the ground, swirling, and got me thinking of a recurring dream I've had since childhood, of being chased and hunted by many tornados, they're just about to get me and I wake up. I got nervous. But all I had to do was step back through the trees, and I was protected again. The difference of the weather on either side of the trees was so drastic, what I'm hoping interdimensional will be like. A few of the huge birch trees on the property have fallen recently, as they have all over region. Some trees out here are over 100 years old, big fellas, and after a century of madness inducing wind, the just fall down. Most everybody out here's agreed not to replant new trees. Farming and plowing techniques have developed so that they really aren't needed anymore. At first thought, it seems a shame, like a change is coming, and something will never be the same, when the last tree falls. But every tree out here, -excluding those by a river, or a lake, or the rare solo tree that sprouted due to a bird's droppings- were planted by men in the first place. So it's actually an institution of mankind that is coming to and end out here. Its a full circle thing, and on second thought the whole thing feels soothing, like all things come back around. I still haven't figured out what the tornado dream is about. I've gotta few ideas, but none of them wow me. Any ideas? Don't tell me it's about me running from myself, or anything like that. I gave up trying to ditch me a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment