Thursday, September 15, 2011

City of Ghosts

Well, I found out where I want to live. It is Savannah. I planned to visit it for a day and jump back on the bus, but ended up staying the night. It is such a beautiful city...and an OLD city. The Antebellum architecture - with statues of Michelangelo, Ruben, and others...and cemeteries filled with war heroes and scoundrels - looms quietly over the city reminding the people of unknown energies working in the world. People beleive in ghosts here, at least my hotel clerk did. She was also very kind, as was the waitress at the restaurant on River Street where I ate breakfast, the lady at the cafe where I camped out and charged my phone, and the waitress at the one of the best Italian places I've ever eaten at, in the city market. All three were born and raised here and all didn't really care to live anywhere else. An idyllic place, almost...for all around the fun and evergetic happenings you see the homeless or downtrodden coming in and out off the edge of the outer dark. But everybody and everything is part of one thing, one big thing, and moss drips everywhere for that one thing is very still. And deep. I'm not sure what that one thing is, but you can feel it...maybe ghosts are real, and maybe they tap you on the shoulder on your dark walk to the hotel. Some places just have more access to the rest universe than others. Savannah is in its own little area out in space.

No comments:

Post a Comment